Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Quite possibly the worst day ever...

Not sure there's a better title for yesterday and the events that went down. This is going to be a long one people so sit back and relax...

Did you know you should be taking calcium when breastfeeding? Yup, I learned that the hard way. Never chipped a tooth in my entire life until last night when I was just walking up the stairs. Not the kind of chip you can see but sure makes my tongue feel funny. I had to make an appointment in the am to get if fixed...this was just one of the first fun events to start this great day...although I did get it fixed in the morning it later would become a small issue in comparison.

The other night, I was nursing Meatball on the the side with the fissure that felt much better and had healed. All was good until I noticed pink around the color of his shirt. After checking him real closely, I figure the fissure had bled a little and it just looked worse than it was. No other issues.I nursed on that side several times and no problem. The next morning, I work up and decided to try tandem nursing and pumping. Worked well and I managed it. Note to self it would work if needed now that I am getting ready to start back at work. We sat together playing after he finished and he was just smiling and so happy! We were having a good time until he started spitting up blood...red blood...with other thicker chunks...I freaked out.

Again, we decided to chalk it up to the bad boob. It obviously was not healed all the way so I nursed less on that side during the day and it was all good. I decided to pump that night to give it all a rest. Meatball was asleep and I took advantage of the quiet, dark room to just relax while I pumped. I felt a little strange on my right side so I looked down only to see blood coming out along with the milk. Lots of blood. I kept going with pumping thinking this would stop and it was normal since I had heard of people having a little blood in their milk...but more and more came. When I finished my 3 oz bottle, 1 oz of it was blood and tissue. My pump was clogged and I was scared.



After emailing my LC to let her know what had been going on, I let the bottle sit.Once it all settled, the milk was still RED and there was a good ounce of stuff that was not supposed to be there at the bottom of the bottle. My LC wrote back and demanded I come in to the office in the morning so she could see me.

She did a quick weigh check and Meatball looked great. 12 pounds and 2 ounces! She took one look at my boobs while she helped get him dressed and the picture of the milk I had pumped...told me I was going to see the breast surgeon today. HUH?!

I pack up and leave. Crying begins (shocker, I am crying all the time now) when I get into the car and Meatball is happy and settled. I pull myself together and call the surgeon she referred me to. When I explained the situation, the nurse asked if I could come in ASAP. So I nursed the baby in the car for just a few minutes and off we were! Down in the ritzy area...across from Saks...beautiful building on the 14th floor...oy. Going to need the stroller for this one!

I have to admit, I was really scared at this point. A doctor who does not know me at all if asking me to come in right away...I cried almost the whole way there. LOL

After being examined, the doctor said she did not notice anything odd or unusual in my breasts. She took a sample to see if blood was present in the milk and it was clear. She took a sample of my milk to be tested. She told me that everything was looking good and the only other thing she thinks might give us a clearer picture would be an ultrasound and a mammogram. FUN.

I offered to nurse the baby and see if he could make it happen. She took me up on the offer since he was hungry anyways! But that didn't work either.

Just as we were finishing up the exam and talking, the fire alarm in the building begins to go off. At first we ignored it but then the nurse told me I needed to get dressed so we could evacuate. WTF! Remember I said we were on the 14th floor?! Really?! Today this had to happen?! So I get myself together and get Meatball in the carseat. The nurse is kind enough to help me carry the stroller down the packed stairwell. We were moving so slowly...I hope nothing is really happening :( Get down to the garage and get out as fast as I can...that is all I am thinking. This all just needs to be over.

So no news or word yet on what's wrong with my bloody boob. I will have the scans done today and then we will go from there. I am just glad that "possibly one of the worst days ever" is now over. Just sad this all had to happen on mommy's last days off on maternity leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment