Monday, January 9, 2012

Doctor bills, insurance, and 30...oh my!

Yet again I have failed to maintain my blog. Seems like so long ago that I was posting almost daily because I was struggling with BF so much and this was my outlet to vent, celebrate, and just document my journey. And now here we are 11 months into the journey and BF itself is going so smoothly (kinda) that I don't "need" this as an outlet anymore. However, I still want to document my adventure.

Recently, I received a bill for my visits and biopsies from Dr. P. If you remember, Dr. P was not "in network" as my insurance calls it so I am responsible for partial payment. My own fault really since I did call from the very beginning for check and I knew she was not. However, I then attempted to then cancel my first biopsy and L refused to let me...Dr. P called me as well and told me we would figure it all out.

Well, it was figured out. Insurance paid their amount and then I was billed the remainder. Dr. P is doing a great job to help work something out with me to pay the balance. In all honesty, any is going to be more than we can truly afford right now.

Anyways, I was due for my 6 month check up in November. It's now December and I have not gotten to go. Why? Because I have this mounting bill at her office that I have no idea how I am going to pay and I feel guilty (?) returning for a visit when I know I cannot afford it.

But I need to go back and be monitored...by her or any breast surgeon.

So, on Friday, which happened to be my thirtieth birthday, I called a breast cancer at a hospital in the region to see if they accepted my insurance and if I was a candidate to be seen. I spoke with a nurse at length and explained my situation as best as I could. She was very knowledgeable and friendly. She gave me the contact information of the breast surgeon affiliated with the hospital since she thought the office was in my plan. When I called the office, I was told again they were in my plan. I attempted to schedule an appointment...disastrous. The girl on the phone was rushing me and acting as if I was inconveniencing her.  In the end, I was told to fax over my files from Dr. P's office BEFORE my appointment so they knew how much time to block for my case? Just seems stupid but I decided I didn't have a choice since this was the only breast surgeon I have been able to find in my insurance plan. Before calling Dr. P's office and explaining, I decided to check with the insurance first...just to confirm this doctor is in fact covered...

VERDICT: No. 2nd doctor not covered.

Uggh. So in speaking with such a sweet representative at the insurance company, I explain to her what I need and the difficulty I have had finding a doctor with this specialty that is covered. She confirms the lack of physicians in my plan with this specialty and transfers me to another department that begins to put in an exception for me to see Dr. P and have her classified as an IN NETWORK provider since there are no other breast surgeons in a 30 mile radius.

I'm sorry...what?!

I cannot tell you how many times I have called the insurance asking for this same thing. Never have I been told this is or was an option. So, I went with Dr. P since I HAD to have this problem looked it!!

I speak with another amazingly sweet girl that walks me through the process. Unfortunately, they are not able to backdate the approval but I think I will appeal if it does go through. But it has to go through...I don't have another option!

So, in the end this was the best 30th birthday present!! I am planning on writing a letter to the insurance company about the helpfulness and dedication of both of these girls.  In the meantime, I have to wait until next week to find out if future visits will be covered...

I pray it all works out since I need to go for the follow up ASAP!!

And on a side note, I nursed my 11 month old to sleep this evening...just like all other evenings. Yes, I said 11 month old. Unbelievable. How and when did that happen? Now I am really being hit with the fact that my job as milking mama will be over soon. Once I drop the Dom, I am pretty sure my body is going to stop production and I won't be able to keep up with an am and pm nursing session. This makes me so sad. Depressed actually...but that's a different post...

So happy birthday to me...and here's hoping things work out with the waiver :)

No comments:

Post a Comment