So it's been almost a full month since I have blogged last. I have not given up on breastfeeding! Quite the opposite...
I have been back to work for 3 weeks now. Being a full time professional, a mommy, and a breastfeeding mommy may be the toughest job ever. I don't get "breaks" at work. If I have a 10 minute block of free time, I am pumping to provide for Meatball. And when pumping, you are tied down to one area...my area just happens to be the closet of my classroom. I am trying very hard to work and pump but it is difficult. As a teacher, I need to be able to move around the room for things to be productive and that's just not possible. But, I am providing for Meatball throughout the day while also teaching. That alone is pretty darn impressive.
I miss my time at home and being able to nurse on demand. I miss my time with Meatball greatly. However, this is what works for our family. Pumping is not enjoyable for anyone but it's a necessity for those that must be away from their little ones and work outside of the home. I am proud of myself for continuing to BF since returning to work. Not all are able to handle the challenges of BF and working and I have proven I can even with my daily supply issues.
Another celebration I have to acknowledge is my freezer stash. Not that it's massive or would feed a small army but that it's barely been touched since returning to work! Only 8 oz TOTAL have been used! WOO HOO!!
Meatball is getting 6 oz of formula a day. While I am away, he takes an additional 10 oz of BM. When I get home, it's a topless nursing party until dinner, bath, book, and then boob and bed. Our routine is working well and I am keeping up with the supply demand pretty well if I must say so myself.
I am still pumping throughout the night. I bring home such a pathetic amount during work. I pump 2-3 oz each time I pump. I bring home about 6 oz each day. Plus I pump after putting Meatball to bed and I get about 2-2.5 oz. I also try to pump in the am while nursing and I get about 3-6 oz then. That all goes towards the 10 oz needed throughout the day following the first bottle of formula in the morning with breakfast.
So things are not spectacular...I don't have a sudden abundant increase in supply...but they are working. I have found what works for me and Meatball and I am pretty happy. He's happy, healthy, and growing like a weed.
For the first time ever, I may feel like I have finally defined my own success...and successful I think I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment